Monday, April 20, 2009

Lullabies


Press play for mood







One of the most clearest memories I have, and that's rare, is of my mom singing lullabies and her gentle clapping on my forearm or tummy. [Any of you realize it's cute for kids to have tummies but gross for grown up to have them?]

Dad was a story teller. He craftily thought that if he tell a long story, we'd fall asleep. His story had princes going on horses and galloping for 15 or more minutes in the hopes of we getting bored and falling asleep. Of course, being the curious asshole that I was, I kept him awake instead, asking him pastu? Pastu?

I don't think there was one night in the early years that we slept alone. Therefore, we had no use of teddy bears nor blankies. And I don't think any of us had imaginary friends either. That was how ideal our childhood was.

Of course, later, zaman tua sikit lupa mak pak and the rebellious teenager years that seemed compulsory came, in our individual ways. I was the passive aggressive rebel. Haha.

But, back to them, try pulling that stunt while working and arriving home usually at 8-9 pm. Dad was working at Ford those days, and mom at that place in PJ where we'll pass the two cow statues on the way.

These are the few most memorable lullabies mom sang, rendered by her, of course:

Kenek-kenek ude
Lembu patoh tandok
Che' Mek kenolah gode
Che' Awe keno tumbok
Oa oa oa oa


Pok amai-amai
Belalang kupu-kupu
Tepuk biar pandai
Emak upah susu

Susu lemak manis
Santan kelapa muda
Adik jangan menangis
Emak ada kerja


O Bulan
Mana bintang?
Atas pokok kayu ara

O tuan
Mana sayang?
The last line I can't remember because this is the cue for her to say something silly and/or tickle me.

I hate you Russia for existing and making me have to be here.

4 comments:

l said...

siut ah kau

Fuzzy A! said...

mengapakah?

angel said...

My mum is a back-patter. She's a pro at that, she reduces the frequency of her gentle backpats slowly until i fall asleep. You know how some less sensitive adults tend to suddenly stop patting and you end up waking up? My dad is the storyteller with the many voices :)

Fuzzy A! said...

I know, it's like annoying. My mom by your standard is also an expert child patter. Hoho.