Saturday, May 30, 2009

Sense


Everybody says how horrible it would be if one day we wake up deaf. We can't hear music, we can't hear laughter.
[I apologize to any reader who might be deaf but it's true]



Everybody says how execrable it would be if our eyes just decided to get up and leave. No more color to brighten our world, no more paintings to ease our souls.
[Again, but for the blind]



Everybody says how terrible it would be if we lose our sense of smell. The smell after the rain, the scent of baby's hair would be the same as the stink of rot and the foulness of feces.
[Anosmic, sorry]



But everybody, and I mean everybody, takes talking for granted.
The Art of Articulation.
The Gift of Gab.
The Splendor of Speech.
Nobody really appreciates it, not really.


I made a pact with God, once.
If I get something, I'd stop talking for 24 consecutive hours.
I got what I wanted.
I tried to fulfill my end of the bargain.
I failed.
Again.
And again.
I still haven't done my part.


I have since learned the Dazzle of Dialogue.
The Effulgence of Elocution.
The Sex Appeal of Spiel.


So, this is a show of gratitude for the blessing that I've never heard being thanked for.
Thank you, God, Nature, Evolution, Society.
I love language.

No comments: