Saturday, July 03, 2010

Labels

Let's face it.



We label people. Yes, even you, the snooty one who says, labeling is wrong! You label labelers as close-minded bigots, more often than not.

I understand why people need to label. It's comforting when you can categorize people in certain definitions because one feels like one can predict the reactions of said people. Girls cry. Boys play sport. Girl likes boys and boys like girls. The universe is in order.

Like so many great people before me said, we are afraid of things we do not understand. And what's more difficult to understand than people who act beyond our comprehension on how the world works, beyond our expectation?


 Why does this man love another man? 



 How does this race of lazy bastards stay in power for so long?



How does a person with mediocre voice, singing meaningless pop songs that he doesn't even write, becomes so famous?

And what's a more appropriate thing to do than hating the things we're afraid of, things we don't understand?

And let's be honest. We label ourselves. I label myself as an out-of-the-box thinker. A writer. A person who appreciates art. An ok-looking guy who mind-bogglingly has/had a number of admirers, both men and women. A procrastinator. An open-minded person. The list goes on and on.

I do hate it when people label me, though. Especially when they say, "I know you." or "Of course, you'd do that." I hate it. When people say that, I go out of my way to do something outside of their expectation. Then, their perception of me will be shattered. I do so love to fuck people's minds up.


I guess we hate people labeling us because it limits who we are in their eyes and we believe that we're so much more than that. But then, we label ourselves, too. We limit ourselves to these labels.

And if you take away these labels, you're labeling yourself as a person unlabeled, undefined.

That's just another label, now, innit?

Conclusion: This post wants you to think but provides no answer.

Disclaimer: This post is full of sarcasm and satires. So, please think before you post though I doubt you'd do that.

1 comment:

reza said...

When people say that, I go out of my way to do something outside of their expectation. (i knew u would do that) :)