Thursday, October 01, 2009

Mah Mama Tole Me... or Kawan-kawan Melayu Aku

Mom actually told me once to be friends with budak jahat; you know, those who play hooky, smoke, untuck their school shirt - remember that it was a great act of rebellion back in the day - and do generally unpleasant things for atttention/love/to look cool.

Well, kalau tak kawan dengan budak jahat, sapa nak kawan ngan budak jahat? Kesian budak jahat.

When one reaches late-teenhood/young-adulthood, in any remotely religious community, the term bad people would be almost synonymous with sinners. Well, at least among certain people I grew up with, the terms are similar in meaning.

I like being friends with budak jahat/sinners. You know, those Malays who drink, get laid, party like, as the Orsons say, there's no tomorrow, get stoned and do other socially unacceptable acts in the Malay ideology.



Generally, I find them more sociable. They aren't judgmental, they're mostly friendly, they're usually entertaining.

And generally, I find them more god-fearing than your average bible/quran-thumpers. They have that sense of guilt doing things they consider as sinful. The budak baiks just sin and don't realize they're doing it.

I sadly don't fall in both categories, neither the fun guilt-ridden budak jahats, nor the sure self-righteous budak baiks. It's no fun being in the middle, the budak jahats don't want to corrupt you but the budak baiks condemn you.

I have very few outright budak baik friends, mostly because I avoid them like the plague and vice versa. I have a lot of self-denying budak baik friends, who, credit where credit's due, try their hardest to tear themselves from the vices of the budak baiks. Very few of my friends are on the moral neutral ground like me and much fewer than I prefer are those who fall in the budak jahat category. I do have one or two budak baik friends who are not judgmental but they're anomalies.

My budak jahat acquaintances need to stop worrying that they'll corrupt me.

But then again, me separating people into the budak jahat/budak baik categories is pretty damn budak baik of me, isn't it?



Damn.

No comments: