Tuesday, January 06, 2009

I have Stockholm Syndrome and Here's Your Letter

You know what's fucked up? I mean, really REALLY fucked up? I'm not depressed but I feel like I should be, wtf. At least, I don't think that I'm depressed. No, I feel more of a bottled-up emotions though I don't know what the emotion is, you know? 

0% sense - check

And what is the contemporary anthem album for depression/anger/bad thoughts? Why, Blink-182 last album, of course! Not that you need to be emo to enjoy it but you know when you're depressed/angry/having evil thoughts and you don't want people to console you? You know it's not good but you want to be consumed by the anger/depression/malicious thoughts [from now on I'll refer it as Puppy with a capital P because I can]

You're Puppy-ed. There's something going on in your chest only a bout of Puppy could bring, warm but not comforting. It might be emotions or adrenaline or something but you know it. You don't actually like the feeling enough to sought it out all the time but right here, right now, with this Puppy you're having, it's invigorating. 

You jeling to your loved one consoling you. At that precise moment, no matter how much you care for that person, you want him/her to fuck off. Or better yet, you muse how it'd feel hurting that cared person.  You're not big enough of an asshole to actually do that but the Puppy's just doing it's job. 

You want to lash out. You want to shout. You want to let the world feel what you feel: Puppy. 

Right? You know what I'm talking about now? Well, I have that uncomfortable warm thing in my chest but none of the Puppy. Koyaanisqatsi, anyone? Incidentally, I torrented the movie and still haven't watched it. 

So, returning to the point, two songs out of the album: Stockholme Syndrome and Here's Your Letter.




Stockholm Syndrome is a psychological state of mind described as concern or even affection towards the kidnapper by the kidnappee. 

The monologue in the beginning is actually a letter written by the bassist Mark Hoppus' grandmother to his grandfather sometime during the war. The actual song itself is classic Blink. The raging Tom and the depressed given up Mark weave the lyrics while Travis just rock the drums. Dude, is there any better drummer than Travis Barker? Ever? The sheer speed is enough to rattle your core.



Now, this one is an example of what's going on in the last album. While Mark was writing the lyrics, Tom was working on a chorus for another song. According to Mark, 'This song is about people's inability to communicate with one another and how words and explanations only confuse the issue.'. Right. I like the lyrics, listen closely.

Ok, this session of self-distracting is over. I'll return to my efforts to start studying for today. Wish me luck.

No comments: