Friday, January 09, 2009

Nostalgia


Image by Undercadence

It was 3am. I had no instant noodle. Hungry like a Hungry Hungry Hippo. Foodstuff all frozen. Except for the last two eggs in a carton. Lapaq punya pasal...

The taste of mashed hard-boiled eggs with a little bit of kicap pekat masin brought me instantly ten, twelve years back. You know, those times when you want to go with your parents to a boring wedding JUST because they won't bring you? Everytime my mom came back from one of these weddings, she'd bring back the bunga telurs, a Hindu custom quietly surviving into today's orthodox Malay Islam. So, what we did back then was attack the eggs with forks in a bowl and add a touch of kicap masin, not too much till we taste nothing BUT kicap but not too little that we wouldn't taste the kicap. Just enough for the kicap taste give accent to the creamy yolk. At 3am, I thought of that.

Yesterday, I made Milo in a big mug. Too much water, too little sweetened condensed milk, the end result was a quite bland tasting concoction of malt beverage. If my life's a movie, there'd be a swoosh sound before a scene showing a scene where my mom asks the maid to dilute the Milo with cold water because the thing was too sweet. 

Funny thing, nostalgia. Try as you might, you can't remember small details like these. But listening to some white kid squealing can bring you memories you've forgotten ever existed. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Are we getting old? What's with all this "Good ol' days" posts?

Fuzzy A! said...

oh ya hor, you did the peter pan post, right?

Haih... I honestly think my soul was recycled one. From a guy who was in middle age when he died. Reincarnation sometimes blows.