Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Taxidermy


I've always liked taxidermy animals. Whether you killed it or just bought it, stuffed animals always bring class into any room. Well, maybe not the dining room. An office or a study, definitely. 

I mean, what says power more than a standing bear behind your desk when an employee enters to ask for a raise?

My mum-side grandpa had a stuffed bird-of-paradise of the Paradisaea minor species. Malays call it Cenderawasih. I remember the legend that the male of the Cenderawasih clan was proud and asked the Rainbow God or something to make him beautiful despite discouragement from his wife. So, the God granted his wish and he got to be beautiful. The story ended with men hunting the male of the species down for their feathers, wtf. Apparently, all races at one time or another believed that the bird of paradise descended from... wait, you'll never guess it... paradise because of its vibrant plumage. 



When he passed on, my mother inherited the bird. Oh, yeah!

I thought the Cenderawasih is a protected species, if not an endangered one. Turns out, according to wikipedia, it fell into the the least concerned groups. Grab your hunting caps, people.

On a seemingly unrelated note, I've always been fascinated by mythological creatures also. The more famous dragons and griffins entrance me as bad as the lesser known hippocampi and kappas. 

Today, instead of studying and preparing for Friday's exam, I discovered Rogue Taxidermy. Apparently, it's a branch of taxidermy dealing with mix-n-match-ing animal parts. Thus, my cryptozoology and preserved animal interests are united! Just look at these beauts. 

Black griffins are so cool.


Some of you might wonder on the familiarity of this animal. It's the Capricorn.


Wizard of Oz allusion, ftw! This is actually the most expensive of the priced works in the fantasy section.


All the work of Ms Sarina Brewer of Custom Creature Taxidermy.com. The figures I've shown you cost  from USD $1500 to $3500 'and up'. If there's a reader out there who wants to show their appreciation to me by giving me these as gifts... well, in the Malay culture, you shouldn't not receive a gift, any gift at all. 

Lutfi said that when I die, he'd taxidermize me into a centaur and I'll "finally have the horse-size penis you've always wanted."

...

I have weird friends

7 comments:

~An9eL~ said...

Oh, it's called Taxidermy. I've always thought stuffed animals are simply known as stuffed animals. Gorsh. No but, lifeless marble in what used to be eye sockets really freak me out.

Oh and, hippocampi?

Fuzzy A! said...

Hippo- : Horse
-Campus : Monster

The half horse, half fish royal steed of Poseidon and his retainers.

Haha, true, the way they stare at you can unnerve anyone. But for me, rotting eyes or empty eye sockets are more disgusting.

Anonymous said...

thank you i'll take that as a compliment.

Fuzzy A! said...

Oh my, you read my blog!

QifA said...

Nice of you to drop by my blog johan.

To equate VM and Juara is a blasphemy! and i never did that, albeit i do like both cars with equal intensity. Maybe i prefer juara a bit more. I have to say im a bit biased bout this. hoho

Mini morris?haha..it's not that i dont like em, they look too fragile.

Im aPETA member! And im planning to sue you for this post which degrades animals to the point of being mere stuffed decorations! mwahaha

the mosaicist said...

eh! i didnt know you can stuff the body of a fish! wow.

and i'd love to see that bird your mom inherited some day..

Fuzzy A! said...

Qifqif: Eh, on the contrary, this particular artist just use roadkill or donated dead animals from pounds or farmers. So, takdela against PETA kot sebab tak bunuh.
And another thing, driving that small red mini I've gotten honked at with an added thumbs up quite a few times, ok. Mini = coolness. Juara = washing machine

Zazazoom: You don't actually STUFF carcasses for taxidermy.
You skin the critter and keep the the skin.
Then, from the deskinned body, you create a fiberglass or plaster of paris mold after giving it the desired pose.
Lastly, you stick the skinned skin on the mold.
So, you want to see my bird? That sounds Naughty with an English accent and a capital N.