Sunday, February 08, 2009

WTF Pt 2


I actually saw this on the intertubes yesterday but reseeing it again made me feel like blogging. 

Now, tell me what's wrong with it?

No, it's not the fact that I did see Lennon instead of Potter. 

No, it's not the atrocious misusage of 'your'

It's the comparison of a persona who took part in resculpting the shape of modern music to a fictional character that wasn't even written very well. 

This is the future, ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls: Our children will turn to us and ask, "Daddy/Mommy, who was Harry Potter?"

The sadder thing is that 75% of us will say, "Well, dear... Harry Potter was..."

The saddest thing is that 69% of our children will go on reading Miss Rowling's books and claim that their life changed from that moment!

Oh my...

Soon, nobody that was alive during Lennon's time will walk this Earth. I fear not for the Beatles will be immortalize, no, scratch that; The Beatles is immortal like Beethoven and Mona Lisa and perhaps, Marilyn Monroe. 

But I suppose nobody could predict the future. We can't really look to the past to catch a glimpse of what's coming. Nobody had reliable recordings those day and now they do. We're listening to dead people's voice as clear as a medium would. When I close my eyes: it's like Croce's performing on a stage with the audience of one; like I'm with the crowd listening to Cobain's same old mistake in his rendition of the Man Who Sold the World; like I'm worshipping with Harrison through the song My Sweet Lord.

I once thought the world of Star Wars and Transmetropolitan are just bullshit with their predictions of the future. [I know, I know - long time ago in a galaxy far far away and all]

Actually being through the process of data-transfering from those literally floppy disks to DVDs to External Hard Disks the size of your palm with more memory of events than your own brain can remember really gave me some perspective.

I think about these kinds of things and I shudder. Who would've thought back when I was 7 that a thing as thick as your finger can hold 4 GB? Hell, back then, the computer in my house had 2GBs and 1 was used for Windows. 
Or a phone could be as mobile as a notepad?
Or a camera could capture pictures clearer than life?

The price: The most important things in life - Relationships, Memories, Remarkability of Talents, the Importance of Being at the Right Place at the Right Time and more - The significance of these things lessen, whittled down to, when the moment comes, nothingness. The meaning of being human would be gone. 

The wonders of technology? The horrors of technology is more like it. Saying this, I've been spending the better part of my 24-hour day in front of a computer. I'm lost. Save yourself! Go out! Be human!

No comments: